Friday, November 21, 2014

Random Tid Bits

  1. When I was in college I had figure drawing for 4 hours one year. I had a figure drawing class where we drew nudes, and had an anatomy class when we again drew nudes. At one point in my college life I drew a pregnant lady, which was super cool - except for the fact that she couldn't hold poses very long. Seeing that baby move was really sweet.

    At the school I work at we don't have live models. It's more of a techy school. Graphic designers and fine artists tend to have a line drawn between them somehow. The line is getting thinner, but it's still there. I'm still friends with people that draw nudes. My husband liked a nude drawing on FB, and one of our common friends defriended him. Whatever.

    To me nude drawings/sculptures are not sexual. Just like a photo of a woman breastfeeding isn't sexual. Are Alyssa Milano's breastfeeding selfies more offensive than Kim Kardashian's big backside?  Alyssa Milano got slammed for her selfies, and Kim Kardashian's selfies were shared all over the net.

    Someone my husband and I went to school with was on a show called Work of Art: The Next Great Artist. It was on Brovo I believe. She was the runner up - came in 2nd place I think. I never watched the show to the end. I know she wasn't far behind.

    Peregrine Honig (the girl we went to school with) recently had a 3D print done of her nude. Hey she's a pretty girl, why not? Anyhow...she posted it. Of course social media flipped out, and took her page down.

    What's an artist to do? Peregrine contacted Huffington Post, and now her work is more out there than before. It's one of those I laugh in the face of social media kind of moments. Did it surprise me that social media banned her image? Hell no. But...I had to chuckle because she won.

    For years artists looked at nudes to draw. It was the best way to learn how to draw. I'm sure the Statue of David wasn't banned in it's day. If I took my kids to an art museum I wouldn't hide their eyes from anything. They know what art is. They know that it's not ok for people to take nude shots of kids, or touch them. There's a line there to. A thick bold line. I actually reported a video that had nude kids in it. What are your thoughts on this? What is art? What's not art?

    I'm just putting this up here because it's soooo interesting!



  2. I have 1 student that thinks her art rocks. It's C level. It's hard when people think they are better than what they really are. If you compare art pieces, you can see a difference between an A and a C. Her work isn't A level for sure. I show the students what I want, and what I don't want to see before we even begin an assignment. I also top that off with a handout. Then I critique in the middle of an assignment.  There should be no guessing as to what I want, and what I don't want to see.

  3. One of my students stopping showing up to class right after Halloween. The school has tried calling him. He's done this before. I wish he'd just drop if it's not what he wants to do.

  4. My Dad AKA Grandpa saw yet another doctor about his heart. He's had problems with it for years. He had a heart ablation | cauterized years ago. His heart started acting all funky again. He will probably need surgery once again for them to do an ablation in a different spot. My Dad hates pill, so there you go. 

  5. We got word at the boy's last dental appointment that Isaak will need to get some teeth taken out to make room for adult teeth. He may need permanent teeth taken out to. Dad is not happy about this. He works at a dental lab. He knows the importance of all those teeth. We'll see what happens.

    Here I thought Mica would need all the dental work. Mica was born with a cyst under his tongue. One side of his tongue didn't develop all the way. His tongue is still funky, but it's nothing to worry about. When he was 2 months we had to get an MRI of his face, and brain. We had to know if there was any other cysts on him. We paid $6 for the MRI images. I just had to have them. I'm odd like that.

    Proof that Mica had teeth hiding when he was 2 months old. I find them freaky, yet fascinating.

8 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Neat MRIs. I'm always fascinated by such.

I have no issue with nude figure drawing. It's all part of education. I teach about Masters and Johnson in my intro to psych class. What's the difference?

mail4rosey said...

Haha I censored my David statue on my WW post this week because I suspected it would draw hate mail. hahahahaa

I've gotten hate mail over cough syrup and a baby app... I was supposing anatomy would really raise some dander.

People can be so silly.

Masshole Mommy said...

Kim Kardashian's a$$ is one of the most offensive things I've ever seen. Ever.

Theresa Mahoney said...

It's amazing how backwards we are. We encourage breast feeding and people find it offensive. Women complain about catcalls and being sexually exploited, but praise that Kardashian pig for showing off her ass to the entire world. WTF is wrong with people?

Those scans are creepy, especially the last one :)

The Cranky said...

As Two Bear, an old friend, used to say: "Some people would kick if you hung 'em with a new rope."

~ Noelle said...

Okay- those scans are creepy to me too ;) I had to have 4 adult teeth pulled... they said my mouth was too small for all my teeth... I don't know... I thought I had a big mouth...
Kim K --- its annoying... She bothers me... her other sisters Kourtney and Khloe seems so normal compared to the rest of them... but then they have their moments too... I understand that sometimes it might be inappropriate to breastfeed your baby... but it would be in the same sense to me that it would be inappropriate for me to bust out a sandwich and eat it there... just manners in general.. but as far as how people are freaking out now... it is bothersome. Art is art - leave the nude alone.. but back to kim. I wish more people would think that breastfeeding was as awesome as her butt.

~ Noelle said...

following up on my last comment...
i wonder what they would have done if she would have had her baby breastfeeding in the picture... hmmmmmmmm

Eat To Live said...

I am with Robin. Kim Kardashians arse looks deformed.

Disclaimer

The opinions on this blog are my personal take on products and topics relating to motherhood. This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me.

I am not compensated to provide opinions on a variety of topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are my own. If I claim to show knowledge of certain topic or product I will only endorse products or services that I feel, based on my expertise, are worthy of such endorsement.

If you have any questions about this blog, or want to get in contact with me please email me at: anapeladay@gmail.com