Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tips For Successful Shopping With Kids

There have been shopping battles in our little family. 

Mica used run from me laughing when Isaak was a baby.

Isaak liked to pretend our cart was the Polar Express train. He'd yank on the safety belt and make a hideous noise like a train hitting it's breaks. The cart would be yanked back towards me. It was possibly funny to others, but it annoyed the heck out of me.

6 Tips I've Found for Successful Shopping:

  1. Have the child write your list. This not only helps you, but it also helps with their handwriting and spelling.

    *Note Mica wrote this list, while in a moving car. I don't know how much this list helped his handwriting. He did draw a little cart on the list for me. Also "Shells" are tortilla shells. I abbreviate a lot.

     
  2. Have the kids look for the items you need. Treat the stop at the store like a scavenger hunt.

  3. Have one kid get the produce bag, and the other one get the twisty ties. Trade kids for this task. The last thing you need is them arguing about who's turn it is to get the twisty ties. *We've been there.

  4. Let them weigh in on an item they want. Talk to them about nutrition.

    Isaak always asks for 1 grapefruit. Mica, well he's more of a human garbage disposal. He asks for Luchables. I got one once for a field trip. Mica said it was gross. I refuse to get Lunchables. Mica sees other kids with them at school. I tell Mica to pick out a fruit, or veggie he wants. The bottom line is that it's a great time to have dialog with your kids about what's healthy, and what's not.

  5. If you get the newspaper, have them clip out the coupons. 

7 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

These are great tips!

Masshole Mommy said...

I love the idea of having the child write up the list. I think I am going to try this.

Theresa Mahoney said...

Allison always loved crossing the items off the list when we went shopping. Now Mariah is old enough to baby sit, so shopping is heaven since it has been kid free for the past 2 years!

Kristi Maloney said...

Congrats. to him! I love that little cough, the look, and the move. Perfectly executed! :)

~ Noelle said...

great list. we are lucky that broxton isn't in to lunchables anymore. lol.. he used to want to eat them because other kids have them.

Indah Nuria Savitri said...

I should try it myself with Bo et Obi...they always enjoy shopping with me :)

Eat To Live said...

I can remember my Granddaughters hiding from my Daughter and I when they were little. One time we hid where we could see them and they couldn't see us. They about crapped their pants thinking we left them. That put an end to their running off and hiding

Disclaimer

The opinions on this blog are my personal take on products and topics relating to motherhood. This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me.

I am not compensated to provide opinions on a variety of topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are my own. If I claim to show knowledge of certain topic or product I will only endorse products or services that I feel, based on my expertise, are worthy of such endorsement.

If you have any questions about this blog, or want to get in contact with me please email me at: anapeladay@gmail.com