Sunday, August 24, 2014

Ice Bucket Challenge

I wasn't planning on doing the Ice Bucket Challenge. I love the idea of supporting ALS. It's just that I wondered how pouring water over my head was going to help with the cause.

Every year when it's Breast Cancer Awareness month I get a message on facebook where someone tells me to post on my wall what color of bra I'm wearing. I never have/did. I thought in my head, How is writing down a color going towards helping breast cancer awareness?

I was challenged by a student to do the Ice Bucket Challenge. After reading about the challenge I was for it.

My brother-in-law's father died of Lou Gehrig's Disease. Every time he'd visit he couldn't do something new. It started with him not being able to button, then he fell easy, then he was unable to walk, then unable to breathe and eat, and then he sadly passed away. I've known other people that have had MS.

Yes it's silly dumping water over your head, but if it gets the word out about these illnesses, and people donate then I'm in.

I also watched this video, and was in tears afterwards. It's silly, and odd in the beginning, but turns serious. The guy in the video has ALS.


I'm donating, and I did the challenge with some of my coworkers.




12 comments:

The Cranky said...

I don't have ALS, but I still want to say thank you!

Harry Flashman said...

It seems a little strange to me, but if it's for a good cause, what harm can be done.

Theresa Mahoney said...

I haven't been challenged, and at this point, if I am, probably won't dump ice water on my head as it's been a little overdone by now. However, I think it's amazing how much traction this campaign garnered and even more so how much money they have raised so far.

I do like your video. It's the first blogger one I've seen posted so far :)

Ai Sakura said...

If it works and gets the word out, I say why not? Good on you for rising up to the challenge and helping others!

There's always going to be naysayers no matter whether you do, or don't. Donate to ALS, or not. Just do what your heart says and what you feel comfortable with.

Ai @ Sakura Haruka

Masshole Mommy said...

I think my friends all know how against the challenge I am, so they won't ask me. You guys are cute doing it, though.

mail4rosey said...

His video was very touching.

Yours was fun! Good for you for both donating and bucket dumping!

Rhonda Albom said...

I think you have the idea. It's not just about the ice, but rather the teaching and learning. Thanks for sharing a little more about this horrible disease.

Veronica Lee said...

Way to go, A! Love that cute video- the first one I've seen posted by a blogger buddy so far.

~ Noelle said...

I was going to post my video for tomorrow... With my friend being married to a guy that has ALS, it means a lot to me ;)
Thanks for doing this ...

~ Noelle said...

but - you know me, i can't figure out how to get my phone to post the video... so, those that follow my blog will see it, those that don't wont ;)

Eat To Live said...

ALS is a terrible thing. Glad to see it is getting so much attention.

Terra Heck said...

I wondered about the whole challenge too, until I learned that actual donations to ALS organizations has went through the roof. So although there are people who just do the challenge, there are many who are also donating. I think it's a very good thing.

Disclaimer

The opinions on this blog are my personal take on products and topics relating to motherhood. This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me.

I am not compensated to provide opinions on a variety of topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are my own. If I claim to show knowledge of certain topic or product I will only endorse products or services that I feel, based on my expertise, are worthy of such endorsement.

If you have any questions about this blog, or want to get in contact with me please email me at: anapeladay@gmail.com