Thursday, August 8, 2013

Vocabulary

I was reading Isaak a farm book last night, while we were at the Y during Mica's Jiu-jitsu class.

There were words that I knew he didn't know the meaning of. I asked him: 

"Do you know what a 'heard' is?"
"Do you know what 'graze' is?"
"Do you know what a 'flock' is?"
"Do you know what 'jive' means?"

Of course I went over these words at different times; when we came across the words. Each time he said, "No." I would explain to him what each word was and ask him again what the words meant? He didn't know. He didn't listen to me at all.

Finally he said, "Mom just read the book already! I just want to hear the story!"

I told him, "Isaak part of reading is learning what the words are about. The story doesn't make sense if you don't know what the words mean." 

Isaak said, "Mom that's what school is for." 

I said, "Yes you learn in school, but you also learn at home. You are going to start getting homework. We have to do that at home." 

Isaak said, "Just read the story Mom." 

Maybe it's wrong, but I refused to read to him. I said, "If I'm going to read to you, you have to be willing to learn from me." 

Last night I tucked him in his covers and said, "Isaak you get to go to school to meet your teacher tomorrow for Open House. How exciting! Are you excited?" 

Isaak said, "Mom I told you I'm not excited at all." 

This is going to be one heck of a transition!

For the record I'm super excited for Isaak! 

I think Kindergarten will be good for him. Mica couldn't wait to grow up. Isaak on the other hand doesn't want to grow up. He needs a slight push. He'd be totally fine with us taking care of him the rest of his life. By the way he loved preschool!

Daddy and I haven't had the same weekend for 8 years! He worked the weekends to have Thursday and Friday off. Then Grandma and Grandpa watched them 1 day a week, Aunt Terra watched them 2 days a week. Daddy watched our 2 nephews on Thursday and Friday. Then when Emerson was born 2 years ago, Terra couldn't work our system any longer. My parents took on 3 days for us. This summer Daddy barely worked (only 3 days a week), so my parents only had 1 day to watch the crazy kids. I took 1/2 hour lunches to pick them up early (at 2:30) on that day. It will be nice to have weekends back. We can actually go places. People can come see us; see all of us.

5 comments:

Eat To Live said...

Maybe he is more excited than he is letting on.

Ai Sakura said...

I get the same prob with my girl too sometimes. I'd explain things to her but when I ask her to explain them back, it seems like she didn't listen to me thr first time at all even though she kept nodding!

Ai @ Sakura Haruka

~ Noelle said...

it will take him a minute... but he will love it...i hope :)
glad to see that you will be able to enjoy time as a family on weekends now

Masshole Mommy said...

I bet once he starts school, he will be more excited about it. Part of it may be nerves, too. I know my little guy said he wasn't nervous, but then acted out randomly last summer before kindergarten.

Theresa Mahoney said...

He's probably just a bit nervous, but really excited at the same time. I bet he will love it!

Disclaimer

The opinions on this blog are my personal take on products and topics relating to motherhood. This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me.

I am not compensated to provide opinions on a variety of topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are my own. If I claim to show knowledge of certain topic or product I will only endorse products or services that I feel, based on my expertise, are worthy of such endorsement.

If you have any questions about this blog, or want to get in contact with me please email me at: anapeladay@gmail.com