Saturday, July 14, 2012

Sing Sing a Song Saturday

I started doing what I call Sing, Sing a Song Saturday.  I'm going to post one song on Saturdays that the boys or I like. 

The song may be part of a movie, a kid's video or just a song we like. It may or may not include words. I'll try and include why we like it and/or the history of the song/singer.

The first type of music Mica got into was rockabilly. He used to listen to it at my parents house on the music station that they could put in. That boy would stand at the TV set and bob up and down the moment the music came on. 

I wish this hillbilly rockabilly music would come back in style; in a big way!

We were in Wyoming, heading to Thermopolis. The only thing that would come on the radio was rockabilly. We listened to it for 4 hours. Daddy and I both loved it.

There is a band called Sleepy Man Banjo Boys; they really know how to play! These boys are from New Jersey. Not exactly known for being a hillbilly place. It proves that rockabilly doesn't have to be for people raised in the sticks. It's for anyone!

Here is some info about this group. I found it on their website.

Nine year-old banjo picker Jonny Mizzone (9) along with his brothers Robbie (13) on fiddle, and Tommy (14) on guitar, are The Sleepy Man Banjo Boys. Though their combined age is younger than music’s Hip-Hop era, it’s the 1950’s music of Flatt & Scruggs & The Stanley Brothers that inspires them. The Sleepy Man Banjo Boys are the result of brotherly-love.

They got their name from the youngest having to lay in bed to play the banjo. It was a bit to big for him.
 
The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Jimmy Kimmel Live, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno were calling, and in summer of 2011 appeared as musical guests on The Late Show with David Letterman and NBC’s Today Show. In July, the boys were contacted by Fox News to appear on the Mike Huckabee show, and the overwhelming response led to an invitation to appear again the following week – the only musical guests to appear on back-to-back episodes in the history of the show.
 
These kids rock!


You can purchase their CD here

Don't forget to enter my Warrior Poet Cothier T Shirt giveaway here. It's a perfect giveaway for boys!

1 comment:

Eat To Live said...

I am impressed that those kids are so young and can play like that.

Disclaimer

The opinions on this blog are my personal take on products and topics relating to motherhood. This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me.

I am not compensated to provide opinions on a variety of topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are my own. If I claim to show knowledge of certain topic or product I will only endorse products or services that I feel, based on my expertise, are worthy of such endorsement.

If you have any questions about this blog, or want to get in contact with me please email me at: anapeladay@gmail.com