Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sulfa I Hate You - Part 2

If you haven't read this, you may want to. It's the first part to what this post is about.

I just got back from the doctor. He gave me Millipred DP (Prednisolone). It's an antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections. It is also a steroid that helps with swelling. I'll be taking it for 6 days. It's supposed to counteract my reaction to Methosulpate, which is in a lotion I was using.

What an allergic reaction looks like. You have to be careful not to itch because the hive can turn into blisters.
Then the doctor went on about my allergies. He wants me to see a doctor about building my strength up to Sulpha. Even the doctors at the allergy clinic don't try to take on the fight of an allergy to things like Sulpha and Penicillin. There is only one doctor in town that does. He said, "Alissa you shouldn't have to worry about what's in everything. It might get worse as you get older." My thought, I'll use natural lotions if I have to. Heck my Dad (Grandpa Spiehs) uses Olive Oil and I know people can use Coconut Oil on their skin as well. An allergy doctor is going to want to give me shots or under the tongue drops that will take years to combat this problem. If it does combat the problem, which I doubt it ever will, my allergies might acclimate themselves. Instead of being allergic to one thing, I could be allergic to something else. I have to mention that I've done pretty well with the mix of over the counter allergy meds and the use of the Neti Pot for seasonal allergies. Many people are allergic to Sulpha. At least I don't have a peanut allergy. People that have that problem can't even eat things that are made in the same factory as something made with peanuts.

This doctor had no clue what to do about my hematoma. I fell the first part of October. Hematoma is a big, nasty bruise. It concerned him. I think it's just because of the wide red reaction around it from the Methosulpate! He said that if I was a football player, he'd have me go to physical therapy.  He acted like he didn't know for sure if that is what I should do. He wrote me out a prescription to see a physical therapist. Mind you that he didn't want to see me in the first place about the hematoma. He wanted me to see a dermatologist. The dermatologist wanted me to see my regular doctor. I decided to say, "Screw them both!" and went to Urgent Care. The lady in the Urgent Care didn't seem the least bit concerned about my hematoma. She said that they take a long time to go away; the signs that it was itchy, raised and shrinking meant that it was healing.

The circle area is where my Hematoma is. The red area around it is hives from Sulpha.
What am I going to do? I'm going to take the Millipred DP (Prednisolone) to reduce my rash. I'll never use any lotion with Methosulpate in it again! I'll use Olive Oil, Coconut Oil or Tropical Traditions Lotion (Which has Coconut Oil in it). Once this rash clears up, I'll see how my hematoma looks. I'm not going to be running around the city of Omaha visiting all kinds of doctors for no reason at all.

You may be wondering, "Why don't you switch doctors?" I may. To be honest my doctor is very convenient. He's five minutes from my work. If and when I'm sick, I hate driving any sort of distance. Not to mention time off from work is less when he's so close. Usually my doctor is very blunt and to the point. I do like that quality. At least he was honest about not being sure what to do. Ideally I'd love to find a doctor that was like my son's pediatrician. He listens, he researches, he calls you back personally, he visits in the hospital on the way to his vacation, he does home visits for Emerson and he is nice. Doctors like that are hard to come by!

2 comments:

Diane said...

So sorry for all the yuk! Get to a doctor that can help you! Don't settle. Once you get to the right doctor it will make all the difference. :O)

Unknown said...

Definitely sorry for all you are going through Have you tried corn huskers lotion? We had dock workers with cracked skin who swore by it!

Disclaimer

The opinions on this blog are my personal take on products and topics relating to motherhood. This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me.

I am not compensated to provide opinions on a variety of topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are my own. If I claim to show knowledge of certain topic or product I will only endorse products or services that I feel, based on my expertise, are worthy of such endorsement.

If you have any questions about this blog, or want to get in contact with me please email me at: anapeladay@gmail.com