Thursday, January 7, 2010

101 Reasons to Breastfeed

  • I have to warn you that this post is more about weaning then it is about breastfeeding.
  • I've been thinking about breastfeeding a lot lately. Why people are for it, and why people are against it. I've heard from both sides of the fence. People seem to always have an opinion on this subject.
  • The people that are for it, usually believe in self weaning. They see the benefits. They see breastfeeding is natural and beautiful.
  • Most of the time the people who are against it, think a child should be weaned the moment they hit a year old. Those people generally think you should just quit right on the spot. Your baby is not a baby anymore, he/she is a toddler. Breastfeeding is a hassle and it's just wrong for a toddler to nurse. Those people usually didn't nurse ever, or if they did, they had a bad experience doing it.
  • I have to say, as a mother who struggled to breast feed with both of my children at the start...I think weaning is just as hard as starting. This is coming from me, a mom that had a son with cyst under his tongue at birth (misshaped tongue), and another son who lost too much weight because he wasn't latching right (I had sores on my nipples).
  • I weaned Isaak all during the daytime, but he still nurses at night and in the morning. Since I work full time, he is so excited to see me when I get home and wants to nurse. The same goes with morning cuddle time.
  • Isaak is still a baby to me. When I wanted him weaned, I wanted to not pump any more at work because it was a hassle. The other times I'm ok with. If I feel like he's nursed too long, I just tell him his "bottles" (that's what I call nursing) are empty.
  • I have read about not weaning your child when they are sick or cutting teeth. When is Isaak not cutting teeth? He cuts one or two at a time, it's constant.
  • I believe that everyone has one or two things they cling to. For some toddlers it may be a binki, a thumb, a blanket, for Isaak it's nursing. Second on the list would be his glow worm.
  • Do I think formula is bad? No! Breastfeeding is just better.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The opinions on this blog are my personal take on products and topics relating to motherhood. This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me.

I am not compensated to provide opinions on a variety of topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are my own. If I claim to show knowledge of certain topic or product I will only endorse products or services that I feel, based on my expertise, are worthy of such endorsement.

If you have any questions about this blog, or want to get in contact with me please email me at: anapeladay@gmail.com